1. The Danish National Song Contest 2019 is a national contest to select the musical entry to represent Denmark at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 (ESC 2019).
DR will – through a by DR selected committee – select the songs among the contributions submitted and among songs obtained by DR in the music industry. All contributions must be professional studio recorded demos.
2. Either the composer, song writer – or the performing artist must be Danish citizen or must have corresponding, strong relations to Denmark. (Residence in Denmark for a considerable number of years, marriage to or cohabitation with a Dane, etc.). Danes resident in the Faroe Islands and Greenland who are recorded in the population register there may also participate. In case of any doubt, a final decision about any participation will be made by DR. No appeal will lie against any such decision.
3. The songs chosen for the competition (music, text, demo recording) must have a maximum duration of 3 minutes and may not in any way have been performed in public, officially published on any media, or sold without explicit consent from DR. This includes but is not limited to radio, TV, the Internet (eg. YouTube / SoundCloud etc.). DR must be informed immediately if the composition has been published earlier on eg. SoundCloud and it is up to DR to decide if the composition can join the competition.
If the abovementioned is not complied with or if DR estimates that the entry does not comply with EBUs conditions and rules for the ESC 2019 or has gained an advantage in the competition compared to the other entries DR has the right to disqualify the entry.
4. Composers and song writers may contribute one or more entries.
5. The entry will be performed in an optional language at the Danish National Song Contest 2019. The winning entry will be performed in an optional language at the semi-finals and, if successful, at the final of the ESC 2019. The language will be chosen in consultation with DR. Political statements, swearing, or other unacceptable use of language is prohibited in the text. No commercial statements of any kind are allowed.
6. Entries are to be submitted electronically via dr.dk/grandprix in quality of professional studio recorded demos. Entries received before 26th September 2018 will be judged as part of the competition in 2019. Entries submitted later MIGHT be judged and part of the competition for 2019 OR the following years competition. Furthermore DR will encourage the music industry to submit songs for the Danish National Song Contest 2019.
7. All contributors will be notified directly by DR of selection. The contributors of the songs selected for the Danish National Song Contest 2019 will be contacted directly. DR will publish on dr.dk/grandprix when the songs for this year’s final have been selected.
8. DR will listen to all songs, and the selection committee does not initially know the names of composers or song writers. The selection committee will be appointed by DR, and its membership will not be disclosed to the public. No appeal lies against the result.
9. The titles of the songs, the names of the composers, song writers, and artists etc. will be published by DR in a press release or at a press meeting when all copyright owners have been contacted and binding agreements have been made.
Until then, the selection will be confidential and all parties composer / song writer / artist(s) / others / managers / other representatives are subject to confidentiality. The parties are also bound to observe confidentiality with other confidential matters in DR, including trade secrets and generally all matters of business and production characteristics, they may be familiar with in connection with the Danish National Song Contest 2019.
10. At the Danish National Song Contest 2019 the songs must be performed as singback – i.e. without live bands, but with taped instrumental music and chorus without any vocals of the artists performing at the show. At ESC 2019 all vocals including chorus must be 100 % live.
11. Each performance may consist of a maximum of 6 persons on stage, at the Danish National Song Contest and the ESC, respectively. DR decides the number of persons on stage.
12. All artists must be at least 16 years old on the broadcasting date.
13. DR will choose the artist(s) to perform the songs in consultation with the copyright owners. In case of disagreement, DR’s choice(s) will take precedence.
14. Composers’, song writers’ or artist(s)’ pre-existing agreements with record companies and managements will be of no concern to DR, and will not affect the course of the contest or the TV show. Thus, composer(s), song writer(s), artist(s) and other contributors as well as any record companies and managements must accept EBU’s conditions and rules.
15. Composers, song writers and artist(s) participating in the Danish National Song Contest 2019 are obliged to perform on a Danish National Song Contest 2019-release. The Danish entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 is obligated to contribute to an ESC 2019 compilation CD and DVD published by an acknowledged record company chosen by EBU.
16. The songs may be released on own solo after performance at the Danish National Song Contest 2019. The composition is not to be published on a compilation release, either in Denmark or abroad until after date set by DR.
17. DR has the final say in the production of the TV show and the performance of the songs. This applies to the fields of orchestration, stage props, cameras, lights, choreography, graphics, monitor, PA and TV sound, costumes, styling, etc. Marketing and press work will be coordinated by DR’s press division.
18. Personal sponsoring of artist(s), costumes, etc., is not permitted.
19. Selected artist(s) etc., in the Danish final are not obvious candidates to represent Denmark at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. DR will decide in consultation with the copyright owners which artist(s) etc., are to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. When participating in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, the Danish entry must accept EBU’s then-current rules and regulations.
20. The designations "DANSK MELODI GRAND PRIX" (Danish National Song Contest) or ”EUROVISION SONG CONTEST" are not to be used for marketing purposes, on CD and DVD covers, digital releases or any other reproduction, without prior written agreement with DR and/or EBU.
21. DR and EBU are entitled to publicly perform, record and release the Danish winning entry, in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, in the countdown shows before and after the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, as well as over the Internet etc. – in accordance with the then-current rules and regulations defined by EBU.
22. If participants or artist(s) breach any of the present rules, DR reserves the right to eliminate an entry or the artist(s), thereby omitting – in whole or in part - to pay any fees or compensation. Any fees etc. already paid may be reclaimed.
23. In case of contravention of the rules on publication and the contest caused by a participant, artist(s) or other contributor, such person will be liable alone and will be bound to indemnify DR from any claim raised in that connection. DR accepts no liability, and DR reserves the right to exclude the person from any further participation.
24. In the days following the Danish National Song Contest the winner must be available to take part in various press work and take time to - as part of preparation for participation in ESC 2019 - immediately entering the necessary collaborative agreements upon agreement with DR. Further details will be presented and enter into force by agreement with composer(s) and artist(s) later in any agreement process about the participation.
25. No DR employees or members of their household may participate in the Danish National Song Contest 2019 unless given special dispensation. If in doubt please contact the undersigned.
26. The participants warrant by acceptance, see paragraph 6, that the present rules will be followed.
27. These rules have been stipulated by DR, and DR reserves the right to amend the rules and/or make decisions on the adaptation and interpretation of the rules.
DR Byen, August 2018 Molly Plank, Executive producer firstname.lastname@example.org